Course accredited by A3ES | Process nº ACEF/1920/0026361 of 07-02-2022.
Duration / Degree or Diploma awarded / ECTS
3 Years (6 Semester) / Degree / 180 ECTS
Lectured in Portuguese or English
PhD Pedro Ferreira
Prof. Expert Rui Veiga
- 243 305 880 / 935 048 806
To be able to apply to ISLA Santarém you must be an:
- International student outside European Union (EU)
- International student from European Union (EU)
- PALOP Student
- Brazilian Student
- Nacional Student
International students may apply for enrolment and registration in the study courses if they:
- Hold a qualification that gives access to higher education, understood as any diploma or certificate issued by a competent authority attesting to the passing of an education program and entitling them to apply for and be able to enter higher education in the country in which it was conferred;
- Hold a Portuguese secondary education diploma or legally equivalent qualification
- Know the language or languages in which teaching will take place;
- Have specific academic qualifications for admission to that study cycle;
- Take the internal entrance examinations required for the course they intend to attend. The dates and syllabus for the exams are set annually by the university;
- Have an application score equal to, or higher than, the minimum value set by the ISLA Santarém: 9.5 values
The International Student Competition applies to students outside the European Union who do not hold a higher education degree and wish to attend a degree course at ISLA Santarém – Higher Institute of Management and Administration.
The occupational safety field has gained increasing importance due to the speed of evolution, both of the technologies implemented in organizations and of the organization of companies themselves. The course in Engineering Work Safety adopts a technical and scientific training model that allows future graduates to meet the needs of modern organizations where the preventive culture against risks is privileged.
Thus, the course in Engineering Work Safety aims to train people with the ability to actively intervene in safety policies, in the development of prevention plans and programs, in the implementation of training and the creation of information models, as well as in the identification of hazards and the assessment and control of risks associated with business activities.
The degree in Engineering Work Safety aims to train graduates with the following skills:
- Apply the principles, models, and planning techniques to the organization of the risk prevention management system and the preparation of the occupational risk prevention plan;
- Identify the situations that require the development of specific plans for prevention and protection;
- Use the methods and techniques suitable for risk assessment associated with the conditions of safety and hygiene at work, ergonomic and psychosocial factors, and the organization of work
- Apply techniques of program design and development of training content and awareness;
- Identify in the various sectors of the company the data necessary for the management of the prevention system.
Homologations and Accreditations
Course homologated by ACT - Autoridade para as Condições de Trabalho (Work Conditions Authority), giving access to the Superior Technician of Safety and Hygiene at Work Certificate - Level 6.
Course accredited by the Order of Technical Engineers (OET) enables the registration in the Safety Engineering College.
Reasons to attend this course
- Our courses are accredited by A3ES for the maximum number of years;
- Obtain a higher education diploma in a course accredited by the Order of Technical Engineers (OET);
- A course homologated by the Authority for Working Conditions conferring a Level 6 Professional Aptitude Certificate;
- Have access to the Erasmus+ Program for mobility in Europe;
- Development of a project at the end of the course in a business environment;
- Interact with a faculty with high academic qualifications and with a vast professional experience;
- Attend a course with an employment rate well above the national average for the area.
Graduates in Engineering Work Safety will be able to perform a wide range of functions such as:
- Occupational Safety Auditor/Coordinator;
- Labor Inspector;
- Fire Brigade Command Staff;
- Responsible for OHS, Quality, and Environment systems;
- Responsible in the area of Safety and Health at Work;
- Technician of Civil Protection at the level of Local Authorities;
- Technician of Safety and Hygiene at Work;
- Superior Technician in organs of the Central, Regional and Local Administration;
- Superior Technician of Civil Protection;
- Teacher and/or researcher.
Graduates in Engineering Work Safety have access to 2nd cycle (master's) courses in the scientific areas of safety and/or management.
Equipment and Facilities
Our Institute has multiple spaces suitable for teaching and training, particularly the courses it provides at the level of theoretical training and the level of practical and laboratory training.
The Engineering Work Safety course has Classrooms, Computer Labs, Chemistry, Microbiology and SHT Labs, projeCad Professional, SolidWorks software, SPSS, and AMOS packages for statistical data treatment and all the necessary and appropriate conditions for the respective curricular units. Students also have access to the Library, Study Room, Bar and Canteen.
Additionally, the institution has free WiFi covering all facilities; a fixed video projector in all rooms and laboratories, computer (requisition), PHC software for business simulation, Microsoft Campus Agreement (includes free Office 365 for students) Digital Secretary (NETPA), and Zoom and Moodle platforms to support the teaching/learning process.
25 (course opening subject to a minimum number of enrollments)
safety and hygiene at work
|1º||Introduction to safety and hygiene at work||6|
|2º||Law and regulations for Health, Safety and Hygiene at Work||5|
|1º||Construction Material Technology||7|
|1º||Manufacturing Processes and Material Technology||7|
|1º||Technical Design and Project Interpretation||6|
|2º||Design and Management Training||3|
|2º||Medicine at work||6|
|2º||Project Management and Coordination||6|
|1º||Hygiene at Work I||7|
|1º||Safety at Work I||6|
|1º||Information, Communication, and Negotiation Techniques||3|
|2º||Hygiene at work II||6|
|2º||Safety at work II||6|
|2º||Fire Prevention and Protection||7|
The monthly tuition fee is €297 x 11 monthly installments
Upon enrollment, the International Students must pay the first two monthly fees, based on the number of ECTS enrollments in the academic year, considering a minimum of 20 ECTS enrollments per academic semester. Until the payment of this amount, no declarations will be issued to the student, namely the declaration to obtain a student visa.
Students can choose to pay the tuition fee in one installment, until 8 September 2022, benefiting from a 3% discount.
School Year 2022-2023
|Stage||Application Stage||Period for Conducting Written Exams||Disclosure of Placement Results||Deadline for Enrollment|
(*) - Available Places